Photo by Sergey Mironov©
This report isn’t a list of boring health and wellness facts, strategies, or positions that will make your eyes glaze over. However, it is designed to give you the benefits that come with a good night’s sleep.
Before sharing some solutions to make up on lost sleep, you deserve to know how important what you’re reading really is. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that between 50-70 million US adults have sleep or wakefulness disorders. Beyond that, 30-percent of Americans are sleep deprived with the largest group being between the ages of 30 and 44.
The health impacts are numerous, including immune system suppression, depression, and overall poor health. However, the safety concern is perhaps the most shocking. Easy year 100,000 automobiles crashes are caused by drowsy driving. Likewise, 274,000 workplace injuries annually, costing $31-billion in wasted dollars and productivity.
So, here’s the good news. If you can find extra time to sleep on the weekend, your body can actually “catch up on sleep”. While it’s not a one-to-one relationship, it’s good to know that there is some hope.
What’s even better, a massage of about an hours length provides the same restorative opportunities to your muscles as does several hours of sleep.
While nothing can ever replace the importance of that deep sleep that resets the mind to handle the day ahead, your ability to achieve those levels is greatly enhanced not only by massage, but also the following simple “avoid and practice” tips.
- Avoid both being hungry or eating large meals before bedtime
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol close to bedtime.
- Avoid lighted devices like computer screens, cell phones, or tables close to bedtime.
- Create and practice a before bed ritual each day. This can be listening to calming music, reading a book, or taking a warm bath.
- Create a comfortable sleeping space by selecting comfortable bedding and keeping the room cool, dark, and quiet.
- Support restfulness even in times of stress or heavy obligations by treating yourself to a regular massage.
Especially if you’re reading this when you should be sleeping or while tired from not getting enough sleep the night before, do yourself and your loved one’s a favor by booking a massage right now at 6th Sense Online