If you’ve hung around our Wellness Center for any length of time, you know we’re believers in the power of goals when done strategically and scheduled into habits. I learned this from many of my mentors.In this quick post, I want to talk a little about leverage.
If you’re doing a year end review like I am right now, one of the most important things to focus on is the concept of “low hanging fruit”. (What’s easily reachable?)
If you do nothing else, you want to identify the one thing that if you did it (or stopped doing it in some cases) would have the absolute biggest impact and potential for results on every other area of your life.
Remember this: Less is more.
For example, what’s the one thing (in your personal, health, financial life, or even spiritual life)… that if you do it, and accomplish it this coming year will make the absolute biggest difference?
Alternatively, what’s the one thing… that if you stop doing it, stop thinking about it, stop worrying about it, stop giving it energy and life to it… will make the biggest difference to everything else?
Think of it this way, there are things in life you have control over. And others you don’t.
For example: Investing in Your Health
- This was a really good year, for many of our client’s health wise. One question I’m asking myself is what’s in store for next year? How do we help protect our client’s health and wellness gains and keep momentum going?
- There are things I have control over… my personal focus, consistency and discipline in following and applying systems, my effort towards improving my health coaching skills, etc.
- Then there are those elements I have no control over. The biggest one being the Whitehouse. I can’t make it do what I want it to do. : -)
- I have to position myself (and my health) to be resilient, robust and “anti-fragile” by being aware of and paying attention to some big picture leading indicators or trends, focusing on staying healthy and applying good nutrition disciplines.
- I have to let my winners run as long as possible, and cut any losers short.
- I can work with other health care providers that are also health minded for themselves.
So when it comes to health, after doing some big picture evaluating, I’m looking for the one major thing, that I have control over, that I can do better or differently this year (or stop doing) that is going to have the biggest impact on my results. It might be 2 things, but the more items that get added to my “to do list” the lower my chances of achieving any of them – more equals less not more.
Example Number Two: Relationships
- I can experience more meaningful, fulfilling relationships and keep myself out of the MB box (Miserable Butthead) by investing quality time, being mindful of my personal attitude and mindset, adding value to others lives and owning my own crap.
- I have control over me only. I do not have control over and cannot change others.
- If my happiness is dependent and contingent on someone else changing who they are or their behavior, I’m probably engaging in passive aggressive manipulative behavior towards them and that just sucks!
So in summary, to create leveraged results this year:
1. Identify and visualize the one big thing that if accomplished by year end would have the biggest impact.
2. Put your focus on getting that done, daily or weekly.
3. Put your time, energy and focus into what you can control not what you can’t control.
4. Identify those things or issues you cannot control and set them aside, you will only waste precious energy and maybe your health putting any focus on them.
Taking a moment to do the above may end up being THE most important thing you do all year long. It is the secret to getting more from less in 2018!
Nike Roach is husband to the magnificent Nikki, father of three active boys, health and wellness coach, massage therapist, business leader, adventure travel lunatic and author of www.52waystofund.com. An active member of the business community Mr. Roach always finds time to spend with his family, friends, and loved ones bearing FREE food.